The holidays are over and the New Year is finally upon us—and that means it’s time to focus on the goals you’ve set for yourself in 2015. For many of you, those goals include improving your health and maybe even losing weight. No matter what your health-related goals are, the team at Xpress Urgent Care wants to help. That’s why your Orange County medical center has put together five tips to help you stay happy and healthy throughout 2015 and beyond.
1. Make Time to Exercise. Now that the hustle and bustle of the holiday season is over, it’s time to slow down and focus on yourself, and that includes making time to exercise.
If you find it difficult to schedule exercise into your day no matter what time of year it is, it’s time to change your mindset. Make exercise a priority, not an option. Schedule it in and stick to it, just like you would with any other appointment on your calendar.
Have trouble hitting the gym after a long day of work? Think about starting your day with your favorite exercise DVD or with a run around the neighborhood. Look for ways to make exercise fun. If you find an activity you like and consider exercise a priority, you’ll find it’s much easier to fit exercise into your busy day.
2. Focus on Eating Better. You’ve probably had your fill of sweets during the holiday season, and it sure is tempting to keep snacking on the leftover candy and goodies you found in your stocking. While it’s OK to enjoy these treats in moderation, now is the time to swap high-calorie, sugary foods for fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans or lean meats. Not only will you feel better, you’ll likely notice your waistline shrinking—especially if you’re combining a healthy diet with regular exercise.
3. Wash Your Hands. The holiday season may be over, but cold and flu season is in full swing. If you want to kill germs and keep yourself healthy this winter and throughout 2015, you have to not only wash your hands often, you also need to make sure you wash them properly. How? Use soap and water, and remember to rub your hands together for at least 20 seconds as you wash – the length of time it takes to sing the “Happy Birthday” song two times.
4. Get Your Flu Shot. If you haven’t already, now is a great time to get vaccinated against the flu. The flu shot will protect you from coming down with a serious illness that could put you out of commission for days or weeks—or even land you in the hospital. No one wants to start out the New Year sick, and you’re much more likely to get the flu if you haven’t been vaccinated.
5. Visit an Urgent Care Center. If you feel yourself coming down with an illness or would like to get your flu shot, don’t hesitate to visit our Costa Mesa medical center. You won’t have to wait days or even weeks to see a doctor. We’ll get you in and treat you right away—even if you don’t have an appointment. That means you’ll be feeling better and back to your routine before you know it.
If you’d like more advice on how to stay healthy during the New Year, or would like to make an appointment, please call our office at 949-548-8400 or stop by our Orange County urgent care center.